Wednesday, August 10, 2011

J'adore Paris!

Bookmark and Share


wikipedia.com
 I am passionate about many things.  One of those is the city of Paris.  My friends and family know that if they engage me in conversation about the city of love, they won't be able to escape my incessant raptures!  I just found out that my cousin Michelle will soon be headed over there for the first time.  She asked me what should be on her top 10 list of things to do and places to see.  One of the places I suggested was Maxim's.  My first time there I was 18 years old.  I was initially disappointed that their kitchen had closed for the obligatory 2 hour lunch break.  But they did allow me to sit for a coffee and baked goods.  As soon as I went inside, it felt dark but amazing with its enveloping Art Nouveau style.


bing.com

Although first founded as a bistro in 1893 by Maxime Gaillard, Maxim's next owner Eugene Cornuché was responsible for the beautiful interior that is still famous today.  Would you be surprised to know that its current owner is Pierre Cardin?  He apparently saved the previous owner the sadness of selling to foreign bodies who were interested at the time.


Vintage menu
worthpoint.com
Maxim's was immensely popular in the 1950's when they welcomed frequent guests such as Aristotle Onassis and Barbara Hutton.  In the 1970's Brigitte Bardot caused "une scandale" when she appeared at the restaurant in her bare feet.  Maxim's has since branched out to other countries.  But I have to admit that the original on 3 Rue Royale near Place de la Concorde will always be the one for me.

No comments: