Tuesday, April 10, 2012

GO GO GADGET GARLIC GRIPPER!

Bookmark and Share

Spring has sprung.  That means that the urge to purge has come upon me.  Actually I love the idea of purging, anytime, anywhere.  Husband has more of the natural "collecting" instincts.  So it is a bit of an uphill battle in our household!

I was rummaging through an upper cupboard shelf when I found a lonely and dusty bagel cutting device.  What was I thinking that I needed something just for cutting a circular piece of bread in half?!

salad spinnerDespite my pursuit of keeping the house looking more tidy, I love the idea that (useful) retro kitchen gadgets are becoming popular again.  You know the ones I mean, the items that are lurking in the back of your cupboard or pantry.  Until recently they lived a very lonely existence watching their friends getting all the action.  Now people are developing an appetite for things such as a melon baller, egg slicers and salad spinners.  Although I must say, I didn't know that the spinner was ever out of style.  Collectors are also looking for kitchen tools that are for display purposes as well.  Avocado green never looked so groovy!
Demand for retro kitchen gadgets, like this fondue set, is on the rise
According to the 'Daily Mail', a U.K. publication, the following are the top 10 gadgets making a comeback in a big way:


  1. Cafetiere (thought these are trendy!)
  2. Fondue set (have a chocolate version!)
  3. Egg slicer
  4. Melon baller (love this one!)
  5. Garlic press
  6. Microwave omelet maker
  7. Salad spinner (I use this one all the time)
  8. Apple corer
  9. Spaghetti server (needed mine the other day!)
  10. Old cookbooks

Carol

No comments: