Wednesday, October 19, 2011

LET'S DANCE!!

Bookmark and Share


All images courtesy of sixtiescity.com

I was watching what ended up being the last episode of the "Playboy Club" television show.  There was one scene when Eddie Cibrian's character got up to dance with his pretend girlfriend.  I know that it's all make-believe, but I loved the way these two characters just got up and knew how to dance as a couple.  Each was aware of the other's movement and they complimented each other in a fantastically groovy way. I have always lamented over the fact that I am a terrible dancer, always have been.  I love the idea of dancing but actually getting up there terrifies me.
Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a society where established dance steps that correspond with styles of music still exists?  If I know what to do, I have a chance at looking relatively normal in front of other people.

The younger generation might say that today's music and dance do coordinate with each other.  Sure, I've watched episodes of "So You Think You Can Dance".  However I'd like to do something fun with a partner, that doesn't involve lifting, popping or other suchlike gyrations.  I want to learn dances like the "The Mashed Potato" or "The Blue Beat" or "The Harlem Tango".

I like to think that back in the 1950's and 1960, friends got together to learn dances together.  Girls giggling in their bedrooms with the record player going full blast.  More people took dance lessons as well.  I see the occasional studio here and there, but they seem tired and old looking.  The only young people who seem to go to these places are engaged couples mooning over each other, but secretly the man is completely disinterested in learning some ancient art of dance.

I look at our neighbourhood fitness brochures that have dance classes at community centres.  But I don't know how easily I can get the husband to attend with me and I don't want to have the perspiration of another man on me once a week.

I'd like to wear a pretty dress and go out dancing to a live band.  I hope that this isn't just a dream.

I watched a new sit-com the other day.  At the end of the show, 4 roommates got up at a wedding and did a slow Chicken Dance to a Phil Collins song.  I love that!  

No comments: