Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My First Vintage...What Was Yours?

Bookmark and Share

When I was a young teenager, and without a regular income, money was tight. In order to purchase clothing I would shop at the Sally Ann, Goodwill and second hand stores. This was how the vintage bug began for me as I would often find something that was just so different which happened to be 40 years old!

My first vintage purchase was a WWII fitted army jacket. I was surprised at the time how small it was - at first I thought it was a child's jacket. In a sense it was, as the man who wore it was most likely just a teenager himself. The thought of a soldier's piece of clothing in my hands was almost eerie...I was fascinated, but also very emotional. What happened to this young soldier? Did he die in the war? What was his position? The jacket looked like an aviator's jacket...was he a pilot? 

I was holding in my hand a little piece of history and immediately felt a connection to this young soldier. Feeling an obligation to preserve his memory, I bought the jacket and kept it wrapped and protected for years. I also wore it a few times and each time I wore it, I thought of this person and hoped I was helping his memory. I was immensely proud of this purchase and my heart felt happy.

I would love to hear about your first real vintage purchase. Did it evoke an emotional response? Why did you buy it? Do you still have it? Tell me in your comments below - let us all know! I'll leave this post up for a few days -- I think it will be interesting reading!







1 comment:

Pam said...

My first vintage item wasn't clothing, but a metal cake/pie carrier I purchased on eBay. It's covered with green and navy blue daisies (so very 60s) and can hold a cake and two pies at the same time! I love it.