Thursday, September 6, 2012

The WHITE Thing To Do...

Bookmark and Share



I am currently writing this blog on Labour Day Monday, even though this post won't be published until Thursday.  Why is this important?  I wore my new white capri pants for the first time today as I desperately wanted to do so before the time was up!


Photo: Do you wear white after Labour Day? We can't resist with fall outfits likes this! Don't forget that the Centre is closed today but will re-open tomorrow.
facebook.com/oshawacentre
Lovely fall outfit in bold white
 
There is a small part of me that feels I'm sort of pathetic for giving in to a seemingly rigid 'fashion law'. 

Ever wonder where it all started?  There really isn't a definitive time or person responsible for the staunch no white after Labour day rule.  However, many say that in the early part of the 20th century, cool whites were de rigueur with the wealthy set during the lazy, hazy days of summer.  By mid century, that rule was set in stone.

time.com
Thankfully, this rule was often challenged by fashionistas and legends such as Coco Chanel, who in the 1920's wore white all year round.  Did she do it as a protest?  I think she was such an individual that such a pedantic mindset was below her.  Who are we to oppose Mme. Chanel?!  And yet we continue to be obliged to hide away our pretty whites when the kids go back to school, even if the weather shows no signs of cooling.

Conclusion?  Do what feels right.  I love white and love to wear it in the winter time by way of sweaters and shirts.  I haven't had a nice white, wool skirt since my teen years.  Must go shopping...
 
Carol

No comments: