Thursday, February 23, 2012

AN INTRO TO RETRO

Bookmark and Share

I've been an interior designer for many years.  Trends come and go.  Colours are in and out.  However an enduring trend I see is the resurgence and love of mid-century modern furniture.  I'm more of a European traditionalist when it comes to home interiors.  I grew up in the 60's and 70's so I saw first hand all the mod lamps, teak furniture and endless chrome.  Many people's decors looked like slightly nicer versions of a "Three's Company" set.  Smokey glass and fake wood grain are elements of design I don't need to see again as trends.
Barcelona Chair
bauhaus-total.com
Eames lounger
bauhaus-total.com

Noguchi coffee table
bauhaus-total.com
A lot of my interior design colleagues are deeply in love with mid-century icons.  That's the difference.  They love the timeless qualities of a Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair or chaise, an Eames lounge or a Noguchi coffee table.  These pieces are practical and sculptural as well.  Empty, they sit like art, but you can also use them like any other regular items of furniture in your home or office. 

To say that these amazing pieces are dated is like saying that a Picasso is old and Cubism was "sooooo 100 years ago!" 
Arne Jacobsen Egg Chair - Black
Egg chair
Designed by Arne Jacobsen
I see the success of shows like "Mad Men" and "Pan Am" is due in part by the meticulous room designs with mid-century modernist furnishings and details.  So many modern items you can find in any home derive from people like Van Der Rohe, the Eames brothers and George Nelson. 

I believe that good design is a sweet blend of practicality and timeless aesthetics.  Mid-century classics are perfect examples of just that.


Carol

No comments: