Thursday, December 15, 2011

THE SOUND OF CHRISTMAS?

Bookmark and Share

One of the things I look forward to during the Christmas season is tuning in to see the "Sound of Music".  It has become a big holiday tradition but this legendary movie has nothing to do with Yuletide.  So why is it aired at this time of the year?

Don't get me wrong, I can watch the Julie Andrews classic anytime, anywhere.  But I've recently wondered why the networks have decided to associate this amazing film with Christmas.  There is no meaningful message from an Austrian Santa nor is there a Grinch who is actually a good Nazi telegram delivery boy in disguise.  And the very cute Cindy Loo-Who isn't little Gretl in disguise.

I suppose that the holidays are for families to join together in harmony.  One way to do that is to watch a classic movie on television.  I now own the DVD, but I haven't removed it from its wrapping and still prefer to catch it on TV.  I remember all the years I sat with my family singing along as if we were at an annual "sing-along" show that was so popular a few years ago.

The movie was set in pre world war 2 time, the people of Germany were so brainwashed by Adolf Hitler.  It was filmed in the 1960's, it's producers having no clue about the movie's incredible impact on world audiences.  I was lucky enough to see the great Christopher Plummer perform in "Caesar and Cleopatra".  I also saw him recently sitting near us for a different show at the same venue.  He has gone one to to do many memorable roles, but to me, Plummer will always be the dashing Captain Von Trapp.

We are born into some wonderful family traditions.  As we get older, leave the nests and make our own with future life partners, there is no reason why those same family traditions can't continue and even grow into something even better.

No comments: