Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thanksgiving is for the birds!

Bookmark and Share


Well, we survived another Thanksgiving.  Cannot complain about the weather these days.  We have been having a summer revival and the long weekend at the cottage was made nicer for the warm temps.  As usual, we woke up Monday morning with a turkey hangover.  But I really wouldn't have it any other way!

In the midst of the frenzied dinner preparations, I noticed an ancient looking kitchen appliance.   It was a mixer from the late 1930's.  At first I thought it was something out of a museum and someone should take it back there before anyone got hurt trying to use it.  But my mother-in-law swears by it and says that it has been a faithful kitchen companion for many decades.

The first thing I noticed on close inspection was how heavy the mixer was, indicating that there weren't any wimpy little parts.  It also had numerous settings for making just about anything your heart desires.  I was fascinated by how many there were.  Of course I discovered this vintage machine after hand mashing my own potatoes for the family dinner! 

My mother-in-law's pies were delicious, as was her home made whipped chream.  My potatoes were tasty but a bit lumpy and my arm hurt from unsuccessful attempts at smoothening it.

As a vintage girl at heart, I should have known better than to judge a book by its cover.  I've learned not to so quickly dismiss scary looking contraptions.  Beauty is only skin deep, but quality lasts forever!











No comments: