Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A B C D ebook Yay or Nay

Bookmark and Share

Today's mindset is geared towards recycle, reuse and reduce.  That might be the reason why many people are now using ebook readers.  I think the real reason is that they're justifying their expensive tablet purchases!


phtobucket.com

I've often thought of ebooks as being very convenient and streamlined, harking back to the future of the original 'Star Trek' series.  However, I have come to the conclusion that it's not for me.  I love going to the bookstore, seeing the shelves and shelves of shiny, new books.  I like the feel of one in my hand, the way I can turn the pages, dog-ear the corners.  OK, I lied.  I hate folding the pages in a book or magazine.  That actually makes me crazy.  I'm a bit O.C.D. that way!

My friend once told me that she has a paperback in her handbag all the time.  How Rory Gilmore!  I am the same way.  It wouldn't be much fun holding an electronic book reader while tanning on a beach.  We wouldn't be able to sneak a peak at what the person on the bus is reading.

I've always dreamed of owning a first edition of a book I love.  We're headed to the U.K. soon.  Maybe I'll find my treasure in an out-of-the-way little bookstore.


sfsignal.com

My husband has a book entitled "The Modern Handy Book for Boys" published in 1933.  He said he loved this book as a youngster because it has everything in it for adventurous and handy boys.  For instance it contains chapters on camping out, building a kite, prehistoric monsters of paper and so on.  This is a treasured book passed down from his uncle Bill.  I can be passed down again to the younger generation.  Can't do that with an electronic book.




Vintage Lot of 5 Cherry Ames Nurse Books


Vintage Carved Marble Bird Book Ends Italy Signed




No comments: