Wednesday, April 6, 2011

THE END OF AN ERA

Bookmark and Share

utilandfutil.com

I was going to do a big retrospective of the late Elizabeth Taylor.  But I kept seeing tributes of her on televisions and in print.  I didn't want to repeat the same information so I let it go for awhile.  I knew that I wanted to say something about her passing, but what?  I thought about what Taylor represented.  Then I caught a bit of "Gone with the Wind" last night on television.  There I saw another female movie icon.  That got me to thinking how sad the passing of Elizabeth Taylor really is, as it signals the end of the golden era of Hollywood as we know it.  This violet-eyed beauty was such a perfect example of a 'movie star' not just an actress, which really are a dime a dozen.  Not many Taylors will come our way.  Today's disposable society doesn't seem to have the reverence nor the patience for movie stars.  A lot of women have enjoyed their 10 minutes of fame, then burned out like passing meteorites.  Very few are enduring symbols of Hollywood royalty.

My mom used to wistfully say that she wished the big, old time actors wouldn't age, that they could live forever.  I didn't really understand that statement until I was older.  When Paul Newman died a couple of years ago, I was so sad as it was yet another reminder that time doesn't stand still for anyone.  Even beloved legends.

katherineemmons.com
I'm glad to live at a time when I can still appreciate the golden age of Hollywood and marvel at all the new innovations of today's moving making.  I thank my mom for guiding me to appreciate people like Taylor, Newman, Hepburns (Katherine & Audrey), Leigh and countless others immortalized in film forever.  I miss them all...



Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century





No comments: