Wednesday, March 16, 2011

WELK-come to Family Hour

Bookmark and Share



Would you be surprised if I told you that I loved watching the Lawrence Welk show?  No, I'm not a grandmother, nor the age of one.  Back in the 1970's, my family and I gathered on the sofa to watch the hourly show that was full of "champagne music".  It was such a pure, family-oriented show with great examples of singing, dancing and instrumental playing. 

If you watch it today, you might recoil from the rather scary hairstyles, the heavy make-up and strangely matching costumes.  The women were often dressed in chiffon and feathers.  The men looked somewhat dashing in their ruffled tuxedo shirts and jumbo sized shirt collars.  Powder blue was probably the most popular of all the colours both in clothing and make-up.  Because the show aired for more than 31 years, the audience got to see such a array of fashions from the early 1950's to the 1970's. 

The group seemed like a really loving family.  The music was very smooth and easy listening.  Like the Carol Burnett Show, this television program brought together our multi-generational family to watch something that exuded innocence and fun.

My husband thinks it's scary that I still remember the show's closing tune.  I still hum it in the shower.  Maybe I am supposed to be from another decade!  "Good night, sleep tight, and pleasant dreams to you,
Adios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen to you,
And now, 'til we meet again,
Adios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen...."

Have a look at all the "vonnerful" women of the Lawrence Welk show...

 

  




Look at all that's vonnerful, vonnerful...



Classic Episodes of the Lawrence Welk Show: Volumes 1-4












No comments: