Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"My mom and dad went to XXX and all I got was this dumb t-shirt"

Bookmark and Share

File:Che and Fidel Graffiti Bergen Norway.JPG
Graffiti showing Che, wearing Che
wikipedia.org
I just love t-shirts.  I have 2 large drawers packed full of them.  Some are vacation souvenirs, some are from rock concerts, some honour movies, some have designer labels, some are from various Olympics, some have colourful surfer dude type images and some just say nothing at all.  I wear them all year round on their own or under a sweater. 

I think my favourite ones are from the 1970's to the 1980's.  I remember when I was still in elementary school, my friends' older siblings used to wear Che Guevara t-shirts a lot.  I had no idea who this guy was but he sure seemed really popular with the anti-establishment crowd.  I was at a clothing store recently where I saw a baby's t-shirt that had Che's image on the front and the caption read "I don't know who this guy is".  It cracked me up a lot!
cafepress.com

Who can forget the ones that said "Who shot J.R.?"  If you don't know what that means, you were not a child of the early 80's.  I used to have an iron-on t-shirt that said "90% angel, 10% devil".  I was a very shy kid who got a lot of attention because of that.  That's when I realised that non-verbal communication can be more effective than being the life of a party. 

There was a time when self-expression came in the form of a t-shirt, whether you purchased them with prewritten phrases or you had the wording custom ordered.  We could form modern day clans just by the t-shirts we wore. 

I like to think that a t-shirt isn't some junky weekend wear.  Mine have history, memories, powerful opinions and some even have quite a lot of sex appeal!  Look through your own t-shirt drawer and wear one today that you haven't pulled out for awhile.  It might take you back to an earlier decade and give you something to smile about.



How about some retro t-shirts you haven't
seen for awhile?...





Leave it to Beaver What would Beaver do? Retro T-shirt







prAna Women's Retro T-Shirt, White, Large

No comments: