Sunday, December 6, 2009

Borrrrring!



I'm bored.

Retailing has become boring. Doesn't it seem that we are just seeing the same thing over and over and over...everywhere? Just how many stores do we need? We need groceries of course, clothing & pharmacies. But do we really need a dollar store on every corner? On one block in my neighborhood there are 3 convenience stores - literally 2 doors apart from each other. It's starting to feel like a Starbucks invasion all over again.

I wonder how these retailers actually survive? Customer loyalty is not as big as it once used to be as there are too many retailers to choose from. Canadians in particular have a bad habit of looking for the cheapest price, rather than the best value - so no wonder we shift our loyalties. We apparently have a short memory - choosing quick and convenient purchases over a whole shopping experience.

The last time I was in a drug store, I was attempting to choose a shampoo. Instead of staying with the one I have often used...I was pulled into trying something new. Well, after all, there were about a hundred different products to choose from! Shiny bottles, colorful bottles, laboratory looking bottles....suddenly overwhelmed with all the choices I began to get frustrated and annoyed. This should not be a difficult decision, yet it became so. I had forgotten which shampoo I usually use and just chose the one closest at hand. Rats.

We have too many products in our lives that are all the same. A shampoo is a shampoo. I agree, some are better than others, but is it just me or is there just not a stand-out company or product anymore?


As usual, I return to vintage ways in just about everything. The simplicity, elegance and quality simply cannot compete in our world today. Slowing down does not mean boring - in fact I appreciate slowing down - as it rarely happens today!

Let us remember this as the busy holiday season approaches. Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday!

1 comment:

Keith said...

Hey there. How are you today? I hope you've been enjoying the weekend. Take care. Have a great week ahead. Cheers!