Friday, October 2, 2009

How to Retire to Bed

Most of us have a busy life. Very busy. This leaves little time for winding down in the evening and 'preparing for bedtime'. At one time, a lady would take time to groom herself in the evenings before retiring to bed - often while wearing a peignoir. A peignoir is a long outer garment for women, often made of nylon and/or chiffon fabric. Frequently paired with a matching nightgown, they are a glamorous set of pajamas.

From the French word peigner, to comb the hair, a lady would wear this dressing gown while brushing her hair in the evening, specifically to cover the shoulders.

I think I will brush my hair tonight.

3 comments:

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Fabulous sets! I love the old B&W where you see the woman sitting in front of the dressing table brushing and brushing her long locks. These are so evocative of that era...and functional for the current one too!

LPC said...

My mother used to wear these in blush pink. When we was done, we would use them as dressups. They were the best.

Witchcrafted Life said...

Positively lovely pieces! I've always liked wearing something pretty to bed, but since turning my blogging focus to the world of vintage, I've gotten even more into turning my bedtime routine into something that I hope would make my our foremothers proud :)


Have a gorgeous weekend, sweet dear!
♥ Jessica