Friday, July 3, 2009

Size Matters!

Have you ever "tried on a purse"? Just like a piece of clothing, a purse needs to fit the body it is hanging next to. Wearing the wrong style, size or shape for your body type can be very unflattering. The part of the body that the purse rests on will be where the eye is drawn to.

Here are some tips.

If you are slim and tall like a model, you can pretty much wear any style purse. But, be careful of too small a size. Small bags will make you appear larger.




If you are short and petite keep in mind the proportion. Smaller bags should be chosen and worn close to the body.



If your hips are large you want to draw attention away from that area. Wear a shoulder bag with a short strap so the purse rests under the arm and above the hip.



If you are top heavy you will probably want to draw attention away from your bosom or waist. Use a fairly large shoulder bag with a long strap.




If you have great curves try a shoulder bag that ends just above the waist to accentuate your curves. Avoid ones that are either really big or really small.





If you are a plus size use a purse that is wider in width, like a hobo style. A small bag will make you look larger. Go for bags with short to medium length straps.



And please, avoid carrying something so large that it looks like luggage! Unless of course you are going to the airport.

4 comments:

CT said...

Great tips! It took me weeks to find the right purse...just call me picky LOL - Ct
http://www.ctjewelrydesign.com

Witchcrafted Life said...

Lovely post! I'm petite and curvy in an hourglass kind of way, and have found that medium to large (but not gym bag size!) purses with shoulder straps or medium sized clutches work best for my figure.

Purses are a tricky lot for me though, as I'm really allergic to nickel (and thus have to avoid bags with hardware, studs, buckles, etc) and sometimes to leather (I think it's the tanners/dyes), which can make finding an affordable, beautiful purse a bit of a challenge. Still I love handbags - especially vintage ones! :)


Wishing you a marvelous weekend!
♥ Jessica

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Instinctively, I think I have drawn these conclusions but have never really understood why I chose the purse that I have in the past. Now I KNOW why I do!!

Keith said...

Great advice. I hope you had a nice weekend. Cheers!