Friday, July 10, 2009

Clothes-Horse

Have you ever counted how many pieces of clothing you have? Do you often say to yourself you have a closetful of clothes but nothing to wear?

I do. And then I go and buy more. I am a clothes horse - an old term which actually refers to a clothes drying rack but now often humorously refers to someone excessively interested in clothes.

However, until the 1960s you might be surprised by how little people had. Most women would have three to five dresses, and then they might have, if they were a bit avant-garde, a pair of pants. They might have two pairs of shoes. By modern standards this is unheard of.

Also, all women sewed. They did not head down to the mall to pick up a new dress. It was either made by herself or her dressmaker, along with her entire family's wardrobe.

Times change. By the 1960s and the rise of ready-to-wear, sewing became unfashionable. I certainly appreciate being able to have a large wardrobe and purchase items quickly without waiting several weeks for something to be sewn with fittings in-between. Let's face it, life is just too busy to sew an outfit. But every once in awhile I have the urge to sit at the sewing machine and create something I know I would be proud of. Sewing takes patience...and if you have the time and patience, what a sense of accomplishment it would be!

Some patterns I found on ebay for inspiration:






3 comments:

BaronessVonVintage said...

I'm definitely a clothes horse too. Great patterns!

Witchcrafted Life said...

Excellent point, it's often a little hard for the modern fashionista to comprehend having such a small wardrobe, and yet I know it's true.

My own closet has a rather modest array of items, but still considerably more than I'm sure many ladies prior to the 60s ever owned at once time.


Have a beautiful weekend!
♥ Jessica

Keith said...

I love clothes. I buy way too many. Hope you had a good weekend.