Thursday, May 21, 2009

Throw Down Your Gauntlets!

Vintage glove sizes are about a size smaller than modern glove sizes, and vintage size 6, which is one of the most common vintage sizes, is too small for many modern hands. If you want to wear vintage gloves, you should look for at least a size 7, preferably a size 8, depending on the size of your hands.

The pricing of a vintage glove will depend to a large extent on its condition. Brand-new kidskin opera gloves will sell from anywhere from $150 to $265 but you can get good-condition vintage kidskin opera gloves for much less from a reputable vintage seller. Good condition leather gloves should still be soft and smooth with minimal staining.




Kidskin Leather Opera Length Gloves, c. 1950s

Stay tuned for my next post: Different lengths of gloves.

2 comments:

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

A good friend of the family died several years back and left all her clothes to my sister...who is quite a bit larger than the woman. There were oodles of gloves and I managed to garner a pair that I love. I am normally a 7 and these were 8s! Ah...vanity!

Witchcrafted Life said...

Very hand tips, thank you for posting your vintage glove buying advice. I have fairly short fingers (my husband calls them "kid like"), but the width of my hand sometimes seems to be too big for some vintage gloves. Which makes me wonder if the ladies of yore had similarly long fingered, thin hands to Queen Elizabeth the 1st ;)


Wishing you a splendid weekend,
♥ Jessica