Sunday, July 27, 2008

A 'Tail' of Two Tuxedos



I have always loved the tuxedo. Nothing is more handsome and sexy on a man. But, being a woman, there are few places (if any) to wear one..unless of course you are Marlene Deitrich in the 1930s movie "Morocco". Who can forget that scene when she wears full tails and a top hat. A glamorous and confident woman!

My only hope of ever wearing tails was when I was a classical pianist. I always dreamed of donning a beautiful silk lined tuxedo coat while performing Beethoven.
Alas it
never happened, but I still dream about it!

Penguin jokes aside, tails were worn by men until the Prince of Wales wore a short black jacket with satin lapels to a dinner party. Preferring the comfort of a jacket over the tails, the style promptly became popular. Unfortunately, we are now stuck with seeing tails only on bridegrooms, wedding party ushers and funeral parlor employees.

Could someone bring back the tuxedo tails please? George Clooney might be nice...



Vintage Black Wool Coat Split Tails, c. 1962, Satin Lined

Some Like it Vintage.com

http://www.somelikeitvintage.com/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have always thought a woman in a tuxedo is so hot! I would totally wear one. But I agree, where?