Tuesday, February 21, 2012

HIP HIP BERET! HIP HIP BERET!

Bookmark and Share


lulusvintage.com
I have always loved wearing a beret.  No it doesn't have anything to do with the obvious connection to French fashions.  Although I do love everything French!  Ever since I was a teenager, I've loved wearing hats.  I must say that some of the compliments I have received when wearing them have motivated me to continue on good hair days and on bad hair days!

store.drumbum.com
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information when it comes to the history of the beret.  Some say it derives from ancient Greece, others say ancient Rome.  The most prominent images that come to mind are chic Parisians and various military troops.  I think about the 1950's & 60's beatniks in basement cafes reading their poetry with angst.  I also think about the images of Che Guevara.  His iconic beret wearing portrait was on many t-shirts for many decades.  I recently saw one of him on a child's shirt with a caption that read "Who's this guy?".  That made me laugh a lot.  I guess Che is not as relevant with this generation of youths.

bobbypinblog.blogspot.com
Husband was reading a draft version of this blog when he commented that a beret isn't a very useful hat; it doesn't protect against sun nor rain.  Well, neither does a wicked pair of Manolo's, but what does that have to do with anything?!

One thing I like about berets is that it's unisex.  Sure there are sporting hats that are worn by both men and women, but how many types of fashionable head wear can say the same?  Berets are also so versatile in terms of materials used and variety of styles.  I also love that a beret can be worn with short or long hairstyles.  It can be worn with a coat or just with a cute outfit.  My favourite beret makes me feel sad as I lost it not long after I bought it.  It was grey wool with stylized snowflake designs.  I found it on display at Galerie Lafayette in Paris.

Some people shy away from hats in general.  They say they don't have the right face shapes nor the right hairstyles.  I say just go for it.  A hat - specifically a cute beret can really show off your personality in all the right way!

Carol

1 comment:

Catwalk Creative Vintage said...

I wear a beret - especially if the weather's cold. They're chic and do actually keep your head warm. :-)